18 Calverley Park - Grade 2 Listed Building Restoration
||Domicile, Architects, Crowborough Hill, Crowborough
||Ling and Sons Ltd. Tatsfield, Surrey
||Southern Stone Ltd. (Specialist Stone Contractor)
||Lambs Tunbridge Wells Sandstone, Sawn Yorkstone
||The Royal Tunbridge Wells Civic Society, 2012
18 Calverley Park is Grade 2* Listed and built from locally quarried Tunbridge Wells sandstone. Calverley Park is part of Calverley New Town, a development designed and built by prolific English architect Decimus Burton between 1827 and 1842.
At the time, the Calverley New Town development was one of the most important projects for Tunbridge Wells and since has become regarded as an important part of the town’s architectural heritage, with many of the buildings Grade 2 listed.
Planning and Preparation
Lambs began work in February 2010 by carrying out a survey reporting on building damage and degradation as well as specifying the proposed restoration repairs. The building had some internal lead down pipes in the portico which over time had caused substantial water damage to the foundations. In addition, the property had other poor quality Victorian additions which had become structurally unsound.
A quote was prepared for the supply and design of suitable structural stone and steelwork for the restoration. As Calverley Park is a Grade 2* listed building we worked to all stipulations laid down by the local council's Conservation Architect.
Drawings were completed digitally in Solid Works to allow the client and project team an accurate three dimensional view of all proposed works.
Porch elevations detailed
Lambs specialises in the design and supply of the galvanized steel constructs necessary to structure our stonework appropriately. At Calverley Park, stonework was fixed to these specialist steels using stainless steel fixing cramps, dowels, nuts and bolts. All necessary neoprene gaskets and sleeves were supplied to prevent any reaction between the steels and sandstone.
Lambs Tunbridge Wells Sandstone and Sawn Natural Yorkstone
was used throughout this project.
Lambs supplied the agreed stone blocks and accompanying steelwork to the site for contracted specialist stonemasons to erect and fix. As the site footprint was very small, delivery of the stone created particular challenges which were overcome through the use of small and large Hiab Lorries. Lambs also ordered the stone onto pallets with strict unloading orders to ensure correct delivery and to avoid overloading the small site.
The completed project saw Lambs replace the stonework and structure to the portico, porch and garage as well as carrying out numerous on-site replacements to the existing façade.
Lambs also advised and designed the new stone features, paving, plinths and walls for the hard landscaping on the project.
More case studies