Handmade Bricks and Natural Stone
LAMBS
Traditional architecture relies on the quality of materials as well as on good design. The beauty of using Lambs products is that they enhance the quality of the whole building, whether for new or conservation work.

- George Saumarez-Smith of Robert Adam Architects
Stone Sales 01342 811311
Brick Sales 01403 785141

Lambs History

Lambs is an established family business that has been making bricks and architectural ceramics for five generations. William Tribe Lamb founded the business over 100 years ago and remained an active partner until 1914. Over the years the company expanded its operation to include numerous brickworks as well as acquiring the rights to Thomas Lawrence of Bracknell Red Rubber Bricks (TLB) and are now the sole providers of authentic Red Rubber material.

Our product range has expanded greatly in the ensuing years; Lambs are specialist providers of gauged arches and imperial handmade bricks and specials. In addition we also manufacture traditional architectural terracotta and faience at our state of the art facilities. Wealden Sussex Sandstone is the latest addition to the portfolio.

Heavy capital investment continues to ensure that all our manufacturing facilities can meet the needs of our customers.

To complement our traditional clay product range we now offer our clients an unrivalled selection of natural stone products. Lambs owns the distribution rights to the only surviving operational Wealden Sussex Sandstone deposits in the country as well as holding large stocks of other popular British stone.

Today Lambs is well respected for the quality and craftsmanship of its products and continues to evolve and flourish. Jonathan Lamb is the fifth generation of the family to be appointed Sales Director of the Company. The main board consists of Lamb family members to ensure the founding values of this family business are retained.

William Tribe Lamb, the founder of W T Lamb and Sons Ltd (Lambs)

 

 


Ewhurst early 1930's. A Lambs Company day out. Left to right: J. Puttock, B. C. Lamb, Director, W. T. Lamb, Founder, A. E. Lamb, Director (seated) standing right: E. A. Coombs.

Mr Churchill bought our bricks

After buying Chartwell in 1922, Sir Winston Spencer Churchill carried out various major works and around 1928 he asked his good friend George Mowlem-Burt where he could purchase bricks to match his house. George Mowlem-Burt was the Chairman of John Mowlem Construction Limited and suggested Churchill should contact another of his friends, Bertrand Cardain Lamb. Following this conversation, Sir Winston Churchill approached W T Lamb & Sons and arranged to visit the Lamb brick works at Godstone.

As luck would have it Mr. Bertrand Cardain Lamb and his wife had undertaken a four month holiday in South Africa leaving the business to be run by his two young sons, Richard who was then 18 and 20 year old Anthony. Both were involved in the business into their 80's and are fondly remembered by all at Lambs. During his latter years, Richard clearly remembered meeting Churchill who he got along with very well.

During his visit Churchill spoke with Richard and explained that he was having great difficulty in obtaining bricks to match his property and it was agreed that Richard should visit Chartwell with samples to try and find a matching brick.

On Richard's arrival at Chartwell Sir Winston greeted him but unfortunately the first samples did not match the wall closely enough to satisfy the young Mr. Lamb. After discussions it was agreed that four bricks be removed from the existing wall to allow Lambs to take them away and match them perfectly but only after a proviso was made by Richard that should Lambs not be able to match them they would pay for them to be replaced in the wall.

On Richard Lambs second visit Winston Churchill again met him and they reached agreement for the supply of 4,004 bricks. Only 4,000 bricks were to be paid for by Winston Churchill, the remaining 4 provided free of charge to replace those removed from site!

During this second visit the two men had lengthy discussions on bricklaying and young Richard gave a demonstration to Mr Churchill of the correct method of laying bricks. In 1928 Winston Churchill received honorary membership of the local Bricklaying Union but gave it up after political pressure and objections from Union Members.

On returning from his trip, Bertrand Cardain Lamb decided to visit Chartwell House to ensure that Winston Churchill had been provided with a satisfactory level of service by his young son. He was met by Mrs. Churchill, who took him to meet Winston in the garden where a conversation ensued relating to the bricks supplied and venturing into the field of politics. The two got on so well that Winston insisted Bertrand stayed for lunch. Many glasses of wine later and after a good lunch Bertrand Lamb emerged from Chartwell having acquired a habit which he continued into old age, much to the annoyance of his family, namely smoking large cigars.